Rainy Day Commute Via Bicycle

I hate driving to work to begin with. I have a fairly long commute, 35 miles out of San Francisco to the heart of the Silicon Valley. Sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic just makes me feel like an idiot, considering my alternatives like public transportation or my motorcycle

However, on a rainy day, there is only one option for me: the bicycle to the train.

I am a regular bike commuter on the Caltrain, the commuter train which runs from San Francisco to San Jose, although I take it infrequently over the summer when I either ride my motorcycle or drive to some remote mountain biking trail.

Other bike commuters notice on the rainiest of days, I always ride to the train. It seems pretty obvious to me: the highways become a huge mess, particularly in this area where rain rarely falls but when it does, it is a deluge.

Today was going to be especially nasty considering this is the first rainstorm of the year and it is a doozy: an expected 10 inches in some areas and 25-50mph gusts everywhere.

I can drive in the rain but commuting you are under the control of the worse drivers. One person gets into a wreck, traffic backs up for miles.

My ride is barely slower than in the dry weather and a mountain bike stops fines wet or dry.

I was looking forward to this challenge all weekend. I got all my rain gear set by last night.

Breathable rain jacket with pit zips, rain pants, cover for the helmet, booties for the shoes, and a pair of neoprene kayaking gloves. Slapped on a fender and oiled the chain, and I was ready for the morning ride.

It was uneventful as a ride like this can be. I am glad, because something different usually means something bad.

There was lots of flooding everywhere, including one overflowing sewer whose smell will not be soon forgotten.

The train was also empty of bike commuters. If it stays rainy, we will see them return, but for now, only the hardcore will be riding in the rain.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My lottery list: cars edition

Night Poaching - Urban vs Suburban

A Tale Of Two Governors