Where's the liberal outrage against Obama?!?!?

An acquaintance just made a dramatic pronouncement that he is abandoning Facebook at midnight because of too many idiots.

Of course, many of his "idiot" friends posted their "well-wishes" on his page in the form of pointed criticism over his antagonist political rants.

You see, my acquaintance has been railing many of his now ex-Facebook friends about their hypocrisy over the lack of outrage over Obama, the last over his handling of the BP Oil Spill.

There are a lot of comparisons being made now between Bush and his handling of Katrina versus Obama and BP, and most of them are for political capital.

Considering this is an ongoing event, I have yet to hear any suggestions about how to cap the spill, because not surprisingly, pundits and talk show hosts are not engineers, rig workers, or well control experts.

Actually, if you pay attention, no one who has been interviewed has actually worked on the stopping the spill, or even works in the industry. I wonder if it is that these men are too busy to talk or too smart to allow themselves to enter the media spin cycle.

Anyway, I decided to add my farewell by pointing out the several differences between the Spill versus Katrina, which I stand strongly by my arguments. But the larger question still remains, which is why I, a huge Obama supporter, feel no rage towards my man.

The missing part of the syllogism, is not why I lack outrage, but that I would have been livid if the Spill occurred under Bush's watch.

When Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans in 2005, September 11th, the invasion of Afghanistan, the invasion of Iraq, and two vicious Presidential campaigns had torn the political fabric asunder.

Democrats, certainly, but many Americans were in no mood for another foul-up, and by November of that year, Bush's disapproval rate reached 60% for the first time, and continued to grow to eventually 70% during the heart of the financial crisis.

In comparison, Obama's first two years have been mostly political battles, particularly the Health Care Bill and the Recovery Act. Many of his achievements have been fixes to failures of the Bush Administration. But I doubt there has been a Presidency where every action is second guessed, spun negatively, and on occasion, misinterpreted to the point of an outright lie.

Really, I like to think I see the political landscape with an informed and I hope objective eye, but one thing that I never did to supporters for Bush, a shrinking lot over the course of his Presidency, was to criticize them for how they felt about the man. I mention Bush's fuck ups for as much as they could take it, but how they felt about him was their own business.

As for my loyalty to our current President, it is ultimately my business what I decide. Feel free to continue criticizing him, but don't try to tell me I'm wrong for how I feel about Obama.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My lottery list: cars edition

Night Poaching - Urban vs Suburban

A Tale Of Two Governors