Squid Envy

Def. Squid

An extremely rare animal with a short lifespan. Usually a new sport bike enthusiast with the reasoning of a lunatic, whom you might see thrashing on an R1 wearing sandals, shorts, and a tee.
When found lying motionless on the pavement, this creature transforms itself into a stream of blood, exposed flesh, and broken limbs. Hence the squid moniker.

Stupid Quick Underdressed Imminently Dead


I was commuting by motorcycle this morning, a 35 mile journey almost entirely on US-101. Going along the straightaway through Redwood City, I spy ahead a rider flopping in the wind.

By the brevity that I close the distance between us, I know the rider must be on a scooter. I am always surprised when I see scooters on the highway. The speed limit is 65mph which is also the top speed of only the most powerful scooters, but when cars are passing you at 10-20mph faster than you are, the only way I feel safe is to go faster.

I roll up next to the scooter in the left lane. Right behind him, there is a sweetheart of a sedan driver who feels the need to tailgate (I motioned to him to Bacdafucup).

The scooter rider is wearing a baggy windbreaker, the wind-blown item which caught my eye from 500 yards back, dress slacks, and penny loafers. No gloves either.

I give him a quick look-over and I just shake my head at clothing appropriate for the library, not cruising at highway speeds, and his decision to be an obstacle to faster cars and trucks, before throttling away myself.

This whole weekend I was thinking about squids and the lack of proper riding gear. I was camping at Union Flat in Downieville, which is right next to the highway. I watched from my campsite many cruiser riders wearing less gear than I do when I mountain bike.

Frankly, I was a little envious. I wear a leather jacket, textile pants, leg pads, armored gloves, special boots, and, of course, a full-faced helmet. It takes time to put all of the gear on, and while wearing all this protective gear is fine at speed, it can be extremely hot and uncomfortable when you stop.

I bet many squids would not even wear the flimsy half-shell helmet if not required to by the law.

If you wonder why there are so many rider who wear only t-shirts and shorts, There is almost a zero chance than any rider will crash. If you think about it, if motorcycle crashes were commonplace, like one crash every hundred times you sit on a bike, no one would ride.

But the likelihood of being seriously injured in any crash is so high, most people consider motorcycling extremely dangerous.

It is the fallacy of motorcyclists to assume they won't crash means they won't need to suit up.

I suppose that is why videos like this are so popular. It is all the warnings coming to fruition.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My lottery list: cars edition

Night Poaching - Urban vs Suburban

A Tale Of Two Governors